[Tagging] Turn lanes separated by road markings

Leif Rasmussen 354lbr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 20:05:49 UTC 2019

I see two good options:
1) Split the two lanes into two ways where they first split apart (but
aren't yet physically divided).  This doesn't follow the "physical divider"
rule, but since the road markings are acting as a physical divider, and
they are much more than just a line, an exception to that rule seems fine.
2) Just pretend that the road markings are like any other line and tag
change:lanes instead of two separate ways.  Then, you could use a new tag
like "width:dividers:backward=3" to mark that the lane divider is 3 meters
wide.

I would probably just go with the first one for now, since it's a bit
difficult to physically cross that lane divider with a vehicle and the lane
splits off anyway.

I've been considering starting a proposal for mapping the widths of lane
dividers recently, since there are many cases where they aren't just
lines.  Perhaps some tag like "width:dividers=0|0|4" or similar could work,
where each number represents a divider between two lanes (that example
would be for a one way road with 4 lanes, the right of which is separated
by a 4 meter lane divider).
What do people think of a new tag like this?  I personally think something
other than "|" should be used for dividers, so am looking for a better
syntax.  If people like the idea, I would be happy to start a new proposal.

Leif Rasmussen