[Tagging] Populated settlement classification

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Sat Sep 7 11:11:23 UTC 2019

On Saturday 07 September 2019, Iago Casabiell wrote:
> I'm new to the mailing list, so first I'm sorry if I miss any step in
> a proposal for the wiki.
>
> I generated a proposal for the classification criteria of populated
> settlements here:
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Populated_settl
>ements_classification .

Welcome to the mailing list.

The problem i see with what you are trying to do is that a proposal is
generally about a new tagging idea or an idea to change existing
tagging.  And it is not really a good idea to draft a tagging concept
from the beginning to have different meanings in different parts of the
world.  This has happened in some cases, in particular with roads
classification
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highway:International_equivalence)
but it is generally best for everyone to try avoiding that and use tags
that have a globally consistent meaning.

In other words:  If you want to document existing regional differences
in populated place tagging that is most welcome but that does not
require or even call for a proposal.  If you want to change populated
place tagging to differ from country to country OTOH i would consider
that simply a bad idea.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/