[Tagging] map of international institutions, such as EU institutions in Brussels

Robert Riemann robert at riemann.cc
Sat Sep 7 23:05:26 UTC 2019

Thank you for your feedback.

I think that I can create/modify POIs for EU institutions to include the
following tags (non exhaustive):

1) office=government
2) government=*
3) country=*

I found two valuable resources:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:office%3Ddiplomatic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166-1_alpha-2#Exceptional_reservations

These two resources helped me to conclude that it is best to use for e.g.
institutions belonging to the EU the tag country=EU.

The description of the tag office=diplomatic says:
> country=* where * is the two-character ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 code for the
sending country or organization or the generally accepted English acronym for
an international organization (e.g., UN, OSCE).

The country tag is so-long rather used in conjunction with office=diplomatic.
Here, I reuse this tag for office=government. If this becomes common practice,
than the description of the tag should be extended with this regard.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:country

The shortcoming of this solution is that only organisations with ISO code or
common abbreviation can be mapped.

We discussed to use the tag operator:wikidata=* . However, I find operator
does not describe the relation very well. I wonder why there is no tag
"organisation:wikidata=*" yet. Also a tag country:wikidata=* could be used,
though this would be confusing to link to organisations that have no
geographical link whatsovever.

Best,
Robert