[Tagging] Tourist bus stop

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 09:35:58 UTC 2019

Am Mi., 11. Sept. 2019 um 02:35 Uhr schrieb Joseph Eisenberg <
joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>:

> Thank you for making a proposal, Francesco.
>
> “A tourist bus stop is a stop reserved to tourist buses.”
>
> The main issue is describing the term “tourist bus” clearly.
>
> The related wiki page Key:tourist_bus says:
>
> “The key tourist_bus=* is used to tag legal access restrictions on roads
> for buses that are not acting as public transport vehicle (for the latter
> see bus <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bus>=*).”
>
> “This tag originated from a literal translation of the Italian word Autobus
> turistici[1]
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tourist_bus#cite_note-1>, which
> can be understood to be synonymous to a coach.”
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tourist_bus
>
> So is “tourist_bus=yes” identical to “coach=yes”?
>
> Does this include “minibuses” and large “vans” used as vehicles for hire?

the details may depend on the legislation in the country. Technically, in
many countries a bus is a vehicle where more than 8 people can be
transported. According to the access definition of tourist bus it would
depend on this. (By the way: when the tourist bus tag was invented it
should have become "motor_bus" instead, would have been more consistent and
understandable).

For the boarding area that is proposed here, I am not sure whether vehicles
smaller as coaches, which are used for the same purpose, are allowed to
stop there, but the idea is to have a boarding area which is not the same
as for the regular transport, so if minibusses and vans are part of the
regular (even informal) transport of your area, and they can only stop at
designated bus stops (or minibus stops), then this tag might exclude them
(maybe, what would you suggest? In Italy there is no such network of vans
and minibusses, and while I have used these in other countries, I didn't
completely understand how they were organized and what their legal status
was).

> I assume it excludes intercity buses or buses to national parks, if they
> run on a regular schedule and sell tickets to the general public?

it may be up to the local conditions/customs. Think about theses places as
an area where the bus can only stop to board or unboard people, they may
not stay longer, and where public transport does not stop.

Cheers,
Martin