[Tagging] Tourist bus stop

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Wed Sep 11 13:30:50 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 11 September 2019, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 10:43, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > Am Mi., 11. Sept. 2019 um 04:39 Uhr schrieb Leif Rasmussen <
> > 354lbr at gmail.com>:
> >
> > if both can stop, it is not a tourist bus stop but a regular bus stop
> > where coaches can stop. I have difficulties imagining it, but I would not
> > exclude the possibility.
> >

> I'm glad you wouldn't exclude the possibility.  There is a bus stop like
> that in my town.  Occasionally
> tourist buses stop there to allow passengers to board so they can go on
> holiday.  As it happens,
> the same company that runs the public buses around here also has a tourist
> operation which
> takes people in the area on holidays, tours, etc.
>

> > Usually these tourist bus stops are set up in areas with a lot of traffic
> > and few parking space, in these settings you would not want tourist busses
> > to block pt bus stops, the setting where it would be imaginable are low
> > density places where it doesn't matter anyway where you stop (no problem,
> > next bus in 4 hours).
> >

> Ummm, the one here is on what is effectively the high street (and used to
> be named that
> many, many years ago).  Several different hourly services stop there.  It's
> actually a long
> "platform," long enough that two buses can stop there at once, which
> sometimes happens if one
> is running a little late.  So there's enough room for an ordinary bus and a
> tourist bus.
>
> The other place tourist buses stop is a public car park.  Fortunately the
> annual fair (with
> mobile fairground rides) that takes over the car park a few days a year
> does so in November
> when there aren't as many people wanting to travel.
>
> In other places I've lived, tourist and long-distance buses shared a bus
> station with ordinary
> buses.

Am still not 100% clear what was originally meant by Tourist bus.

The  description here describes coaches, which are more comfortable than buses and are used for long distances. In French for example this would be the difference between Autocar and Autobus.

I would have considered a tourist bus, to be the buses that travel around Central London giving a guided commentary where tourists can get on and off a certain dedicated bus stops close to tourist attractions.

Phil (trigpoint)

--
Sent from my Sailfish device