[Tagging] "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Fri Sep 13 18:29:27 UTC 2019

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 18:29:04 +0200
Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com> wrote:

> pet, 13. ruj 2019. u 17:31 Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> napisao je:
>
> > On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 at 09:45, Janko Mihelić <janjko at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > The correct way to group them is with a relation.  If we don't have
> > a suitable type of  relation then propose one.
> >

> My idea was to expand the general "part:wikidata=*" to more specific
> tags. For example, give all peaks and ridges of a mountain the
> mountain:wikidata=* tag, instead of part:wikidata=*. Part is just the
> first, nondescript step. If we decide on a better tag, we replace the
> part:wikidata with the new XXX:wikidata=*

"Part of" is frequently ill-defined.  To take your "mountain:" example,
mountain-climbers consider Little Tahoma to be a mountain, while
geologists consider it to be a satellite peak of Mount Rainier.  Given
that, how do you decide if Fryingpan Glacier is a
"mountain:wikidata=Q1367080" or a "mountain:wikidata=Q194057"?

--
Mark