[Tagging] "part:wikidata=*" tag proposal for multiple elements connected to the same wikidata id

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 19:09:39 UTC 2019

On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 at 19:47, Andy Mabbett <andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk>
wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Sep 2019 at 13:58, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > if there is a property shared by all members of a group then it MUST be
> marked on
> > the group ALONE and not also on individual members.
>
> This is not the rule on Wikidata.

But I was applying that rule to OSM, not wikidata.  Wikidata can do
whatever it wants.
But if there's a wikidata item for a grouping then OSM mappers should not
apply that
item to individual members of the group.

> Yes, I've been bitten by this before.  Marking up Wikimedia images as
> being listed
> > buildings.  All went fine until I happened to mark a few that were
> collected in a group
> > of "Listed buildings in <Location>."  Those changes were reverted
> because the
> > grouping itself was flagged as being of listed buildings.
>
> Do you mean categories on Wikimedia Commons? That's not Wikidata.

If I recall correctly, I made that statement in the context of rules being
over-zealously
applied.  That particular case happened to me over on the commons.  Nothing
in the
template said I shouldn't do that, nothing in any documentation I could find
said I shouldn't do that, what I did was consistent and made things more
usable.
But somebody decided that, by his interpretation of some arcane rule, I was
wrong.  So be
it.  It's something that happens across many open-source projects where
anarchy
semi-rules.

--
Paul