[Tagging] "not:brand" to mark a shop that isn't part of a chain?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 06:23:20 UTC 2019

"noname=yes" is used when a feature like a road doesn't have a name.

The tag :not:name=XXX" is used when mappers might think that the name
is actually "XXX" but it's not. Usually the "name=" field is already
set with the correct name: 96% of objects with "not:name" have a
"name=*" - see https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/not%3Aname#combinations

The tag "not:brand" or "not:brand:wikidata:" tags would be similar,
they would be added so that mappers and database users do not
accidentally think that the amenity=restaurant with name="Phở Hòa" is
the same as other restaurants with brand=Phở Hòa

I suppose the alternative is using a "note" or "description", but this
tag would be more specific and easier for software to handle, like
https://github.com/osmlab/name-suggestion-index - which helps link
names with brands.

- Joseph Eisenberg