[Tagging] Tagging meadow orchards

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 12:21:16 UTC 2019

I have to disagree with the wikipedia article. Fruit orchards are not
frequently mentioned with "silvopasture"

Unfortunately, this term is not defined in any of the British English
dictionaries that I've found online, or in reliable American English
dictionaries. The only online dictionary definitions I found were:

"The practice of combining forestry and grazing of domesticated
animals" in "yourdictionary.com" and "glosbe.com" - both are the same.

The cited wikipedia article links to the USDA (United States
Department of Agriculture), which has a whole "Agroforestry" section
(another buzzword...), which says:

"Silvopasture is the deliberate integration of trees and grazing
livestock operations on the same land. These systems are intensively
managed for both forest products and forage, providing both short- and
long-term income sources."
https://www.fs.usda.gov/nac/practices/silvopasture.php

So it seems that USDA's definition agrees with what I wrote before:
it's for grazing and forest products, not food production in an
orchard. Thus "silvopasture" is not a good term to use for places that
combine orchards with pasture or meadow; it's likely to cause
confusion.

The lack of definitions in common dictionaries (and in Google
Translate) will also make it hard to find equivalents in other
languages.

- Joseph