[Tagging] Motorcycle taxis, pedicabs

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 01:19:39 UTC 2019

On 19/09/19 15:02, Graeme Fitzpatrick wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 13:57, Joseph Eisenberg
> <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     Is "pedicab" the best British English / International English term for
>     these hired tricycles vehicles?
>

> That's what I've always known them as.
>
>     There are also "motorcycle rickshaws", called "tuk-tuk" in Thailand
>     and "bemo" or "bajai" here in Indonesia. They are 3 wheeled vehicles
>     with 1 or 2 covered bench seats in the back, and the front is like
>     part of a motorcycle.
>
>     These probably need a different tag. Is there a standard British
>     English term for these?

As they are not common in the UK (someone rode a  tuk-tuk back from
India so there is at least one there) they don't have a common term.

I have had a local English speaker use the term ""  in Yogyakarta, but
that could have been for my benefit.

If the local 'taxi' is a horse and carriage .. then so be it.

Possibly the kind of taxi needs to be indicated? As noted on the wiki
for taxi people are already trying to tag this.

taxi_vehicle=car/motorbike/tuk_tuk/* may be a way forward?? This keeps
the local use with the differences.