[Tagging] Tagging ideas for a non-profit ”course center”

Jyri-Petteri Paloposki jyri-petteri.paloposki at iki.fi
Sat Sep 21 08:46:08 UTC 2019

Hi,

At least in Finland we have course centers maintained by non-profit
organisations, for example religious and scout organisations. These
usually have accommodation space to some extent, kitchen facilities and
usually also some yard space for tents and other outdoor accommodation
for having larger outdoor events. They're located in the countryside
away from the city center and for example hotels.

I was wondering what would be a good way to tag these. I found the
following alternatives from the current wiki descriptions:

– leisure=summer_camp. Not suitable because these facilities are used
round the year and they're not used by a single entity, but rented to
different uses (often with some limitations though, for example not for
parties etc.)

– tourism=camp_site. Not suitable because these facitilies are not
rented freely to campers but mainly to groups for courses, camps etc.

– amenity=social_centre. Not suitable because they're not for the use of
only a single entity but all kinds of non-profits.

– amenity=community_centre. Not suitable because they are only used for
private or limited events, ie. are not used for regular support groups
or other community activities.

– amenity=events_venue. This also doesn't seem suitable since it's more
low-key having group accommodation in larger rooms and not being
suitable for actual parties or similar.

– Proposed amenity=conference_centre. This doesn't fit since it's more
low-key. Usually there are meeting rooms and possible even an
auditorium, but the facility is usually in the countryside or at least
away from the city centre and for example hotels.

– amenity=course_centre. This is an undocumented tag that is used by one
facility in Finland, which seems to be one of the course centres I'm
meaning.

Any ideas for tagging these other than the last (very little used) one,
or would it be better to use it and document it on the wiki?

Best regards,
--
Jyri-Petteri Paloposki