[Tagging] Default values for surface by road category and country

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 11:50:20 UTC 2019

I believe all highway= values are assumed to be paved by default (in most
places) except for highway=track. But it’s best to always add a tag, even
for paved roads, if you know.

(In some rural and wilderness areas it’s likely that most minor roads,
footways and paths are unpaved, but explicit tags are still needed. I
always try to add at least surface=paved or =unpaved when mapping from
aerial imagery here in Indonesia)

Joseph