[Tagging] Draft: landuse=open_defecation vs landcover=open_defecation vs open_defecation=yes

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 08:48:55 UTC 2019

If I had to decide between landuse and landcover, I would also prefer
landcover. Still I am not sure whether landuse is a good tag for this, as
it is about the prevalent use of land, while the open defecation seems more
an additional property (e.g. landuse=residential and open_defecation=yes
(intended to means it is typical)).
I guess many of these places could also be considered waste dumps, e.g. in
the first picture here
https://www.deccanchronicle.com/141119/world-americas/article/india-has-highest-number-people-practicing-open-defecation
"open defecation" will often not be the only usage of the place where it
occurs. It is also common along waterways (probably the proposed tagging is
not suitable here either).
And let us not forget it, open defecation is also common in some (limited)
context in Europe, for example at highway rest places (a landuse would seem
strange) or near picnic areas.

Cheers,
Martin