[Tagging] How to map a homeless encampment/colony?

Michal Fabík michal.fabik at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 14:48:17 UTC 2019

Hi,
I don't even know an acceptable expression for this. How do I map an
area, usually somewhat secluded in a city, where homeless people build
their makeshift shelters, tents and similar?

While some of the shelters could theoretically be called buildings, they
are macgyvered out of anything and everything that can be found, so they
change their shape, size and precise location often. Some are actual old
tents, as used by hikers, others yet are little more than cardboard
boxes or a few pieces of plastic foil stretched between tree branches.

The areas might sometimes be raided by the police and the shelters
destroyed in an attempt to make the inhabitants move elsewhere, but they
are generally semi-permanent in nature, sometimes lasting many years.
Social workers sometimes visit them to reach out to the homeless people
who don't actively seek help in social facilities.

So, what is this? Here's what it probably isn't:

The word "camp" and its derivatives seems to be used exclusively in the
context of tourism in OSM.

While the areas are inhabited exclusively by the homeless, they're not
social facilities of any sort.

Technically speaking, it could be considered a special case of a
landuse=residential because the people sort of _reside_ there, only
there are no residential buildings and the mode of residence is very
different from what the tag usually denotes.

It's not a slum, as seen in big African, Asian and South American
cities. It's much smaller and much, much more rudimentary than that.
There are no well-defined buildings or streets, no illegal shops, no
improvised cafés or services of any sort. No water or electricity, not
even illegally tapped from a street lamp or similar. Slums are parts of
cities where poor people actually live their lives. What I'm talking
about are spots where mentally ill and/or drug addicted try to stay warm
and dry.

The areas can be dangerous to venture into for an outsider but I'd
rather not map it as some sort of a hazard area as it's is subjective,
difficult to assess reliably and not necessarily the case (as opposed to
e.g. a minefield, which is always dangerous).

Any ideas?

Cheers,

--
Michal Fabík