[Tagging] Strange tags

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Sun Sep 29 17:24:16 UTC 2019

On 29.09.19 17:07, Paul Allen wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 at 15:52, Valor Naram via Tagging
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org
> <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>> wrote:
>
>     Be sure that almost no data user will evaluate these tags
>

> Really?????
>
> There are people who are VERY interested in these things.  People who
> want to know where
> Munros, Donalds, Grahams, Marilyns, TuMPs, etc. are.

Well... There is no documentation of these tags in the OSM wiki.

ael mentioned that these are well-known terms. I tried several
translators and dictionaries but didn't find anything.
A Google search only finds the wiki "List of mountains and hills
on the British islands", but not much more related information.

These seem to be very local terms that are not used outside of Scotland
(British Isles?). In general we oppose such local terms as keys because
they won't be of any use outside a small area.

Looking at the tag history, most of these were added in a few larger
edits in 2014 and 2015.

What information do these terms contain exactly? What I understand from
the Wiki page, the names are determined by three properties: The
location (to be found from boundary relations), the height (tagged as
'ele') and the prominence (tagged as 'prominence').

My very personal conclusion / opinion: These tags are undiscussed,
undocumented, not well-understood outside a small area and useless
because they can be derived from a few documented, verifiable tags.