[Tagging] Strange tags

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Sun Sep 29 19:31:19 UTC 2019

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019 at 07:24:16PM +0200, Jan Michel wrote:
> On 29.09.19 17:07, Paul Allen wrote:
> >
> > Really?????
> >
> > There are people who are VERY interested in these things.  People who
> > want to know where
> > Munros, Donalds, Grahams, Marilyns, TuMPs, etc. are.
>
> Well... There is no documentation of these tags in the OSM wiki.

While that is certainly desirable, it is not necessary, especially where
the terms are well known - at least in the relevant region.

> These seem to be very local terms that are not used outside of Scotland
> (British Isles?). In general we oppose such local terms as keys because they
> won't be of any use outside a small area.

Who are "we" who oppose such terms?

OSM is trying to be the best map possible, and the map should be useful
in small areas (like the UK) as well as more globally.

Even if one local mapper with special local knowledge tags something
only understood in a very small area, it is still improving the map.

ael