[Tagging] Strange tags

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 23:48:47 UTC 2019

On 30/09/19 03:24, Jan Michel wrote:

> Well... There is no documentation of these tags in the OSM wiki.
>
> ael mentioned that these are well-known terms. I tried several
> translators and dictionaries but didn't find anything.
> A Google search only finds the wiki "List of mountains and hills
> on the British islands", but not much more related information.
>
> These seem to be very local terms that are not used outside of
> Scotland (British Isles?). In general we oppose such local terms as
> keys because they won't be of any use outside a small area.

The terms are well known to a small collection of people - 'peak baggers'.

> Looking at the tag history, most of these were added in a few larger
> edits in 2014 and 2015.
>
> What information do these terms contain exactly? What I understand
> from the Wiki page, the names are determined by three properties: The
> location (to be found from boundary relations), the height (tagged as
> 'ele') and the prominence (tagged as 'prominence').

prominence is an inactive proposal with over 7,000 uses. Possibly the
key prominence should be documented.

> My very personal conclusion / opinion: These tags are undiscussed,
> undocumented, not well-understood outside a small area and useless
> because they can be derived from a few documented, verifiable tags.

There are similar tags in other parts of the world - e.g. the Ables of
Tasmania. If these things can be determined from present, relevant OSM
tag then that would be a good way froward. For example the Ables are a
simple elevation requirement.