[Tagging] Strange tags

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Sun Sep 29 23:50:30 UTC 2019

Well, I'll be damned. These hikers, or "hillbaggers", are using these tags
for their own purposes. Many of them could easily be derived from the ele
tag. I have no stake in whether they do that or not except to say that it
encourages others to make up tags for their own regional uses. In New York
State there is a list of 46 peaks that top 4,000 feet and anyone who
summits them joins the group called "The 46ers." But nobody maps them with
46er=yes/no because this information is immediately obvious from the ele
tag.

In Thailand, there are local expat mappers who "name" a track or path in
rural regions "Single-track" or "Double track" thus indicating in their own
way whether it's suitable for motorcycle use. I try to discourage such
mapping, preferring to address it some other more uniform and acceptable
manner. This usage amounts to the same thing in IMO. I mean, the list in
the Wikipedia article is a long one. Do we really want all this extra, what
I would term, clutter? I'm not suggesting removing those tags but was just
curious about them.

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 2:39 AM Valor Naram <valinora at gmx.net> wrote:

> But as datauser I won't use that data. We need to find a way to make the
> tags more useful in global scope. That can be done by translating to widely
> supported tags etc.
>
> ~ Sören Reinecke alias Valor Naram

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska