[Tagging] Can highway=cycleway be limited to MTB?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 13:35:43 UTC 2020

I agree with those that do not like highway=cycleway for unimproved
mountain bike paths. The assumption for cycleway is generally a paved way
(or at least with sufficiently smooth surface) which you can take with any
bike (admittedly, 10 years ago I have locally seen some very bad examples
of cobblestone tracks along the river (in the city), explicitly designated
as cycleways (but since then, they have actually put asphalt on parts of
them)). I would not exclude that there is some different usage, but IMHO we
should discourage it.

Cheers
Martin