[Tagging] Can highway=cycleway be limited to MTB?

Kevin Kenny kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 13:47:03 UTC 2020

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 5:28 AM Florimond Berthoux
<florimond.berthoux at gmail.com> wrote:
> bicycle=yes is an access tag it says only that cyclist has a legal right to ride there.
> «Key:bicycle  Legal restriction for bicycles. » https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:bicycle
> It doesn't say anything about it difficulties, that the job of mtb:scale key.

The key issue with that approach: how does a mapper who isn't expert
enough to grade accurately the difficulty of a MTB trail, but can
clearly see, 'a road bike wouldn't work here', tag the thing
appropriately?  Simple 'highway=path foot=yes bicycle=yes' invites
routing disasters. I can, and do, add 'surface=ground
smoothness=horrible', but is that enough? How many tags must a router
take into consideration before deciding that a cycleway is actually
usable?

--
73 de ke9tv/2, Kevin