[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Tag:amenity=motorcycle_taxi

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 10:01:25 UTC 2020

Are there any more comments about the proposal for amenity=motorcycle_taxi?

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Tag:amenity%3Dmotorcycle_taxi

As expected, there were a few critical remarks about the use of
"amenity=" - however, this is the key used for "amenity=taxi", a
motorcar taxi cab stand, so it makes sense to use the same key for
ojek and boda-boda ("motorcycle taxi") stands.

There was also a suggestion to use amenity=taxi + motorcycle=yes or
some other similar tag. However, the proposal page explains why this
is not a good idea:

"Why not use amenity=taxi?"

While some have proposed using amenity=taxi plus the additional tags
motorcar=no + motorcycle=yes for motorcycle taxi stands, this has
several disadvanages:

* implies that a taxicab and a hired motorcyle "ojek" are the same feature.

* requires using 3 tags instead of one.

* If only amenity=taxi is tagged, it would now become ambiguous: is
this actually a taxicab stand, or might it be a motorcycle taxi stand
which is missing a tag?

* Confusing for travelers who generally expect a "taxicab" to be
4-wheeled motorcar capable of carrying at least 4 passengers and their
luggage. This is quite different than a motorcycle which can only
carry one passenger with a small amount of baggage.

* Motorcyles have different abilities: In contrast to a family or
group which needs a 4 to 6 seat taxicab, single travelers may strongly
prefer to hire motorcycles when available, due to their lower cost and
ability to fit through smaller spaces in congested cities and rural
areas with narrow roads and paths. Motorcar taxicabs with 4 wheels in
2 tracks cannot access highway=path features and narrow roads, but
motorcycles may be permitted and feasible due to their narrow width
and single track.

* Many database users currently interpret amenity=taxi as a motorcar
taxicab via use of a standard "taxi" icon such as
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Taxi_Icon.png - this would be
broken by such a change.

So a different tag is proposed to avoid confusion and more precisely
tag these features. The value "motorcycle_taxi" is not a very common
term in British (or American) English, but that's because these
features are not found in Europe or North America.

I would like to bring this to a vote soon.

-- Joseph Eisenberg