[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - protection_class=* (Words, not numeric codes)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 12:29:27 UTC 2020

Am Mo., 6. Apr. 2020 um 14:00 Uhr schrieb Kevin Kenny <
kevin.b.kenny at gmail.com>:

> That would also allow us to address Joseph Eisenberg's objection (in
> the talk page on the WIki) that the proposal violates the 'one object,
> one tag' principle.

there is no such principle (AFAIK a principle like this is tried to adhere
to in OSM-Carto, where they try that one tag is supported for displaying
"one kind of thing" (and to which there is at least the exception of
highway=footway and highway=path with foot=designated, etc.). But this
isn't a general OSM principle (where we also generally try to avoid
different tags with the same meaning, but accept their creation if there
are reasons).
The principle in OSM tagging is "One feature, one OSM element", and it will
always work out if you apply the "correct interpretation", because the real
world doesn't have "features", they come into existence with us defining
what a feature is. E.g. a School delimited by a fence could be seen as 2
features: a school and a fence, or it could be seen as one feature, a
fenced off school.

Cheers
Martin