[Tagging] Rarely verified and third-party data staleness in OpenStreetMap

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 14:50:02 UTC 2020

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020 at 15:17, Marc M. <marc_marc_irc at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Le 06.04.20 à 15:09, Paul Allen a écrit :
> > in your own app
>
> so every app 'll have it's own lascheck database ?

Those that want to know about last check dates.

so when I do my annual check-up of all the POIs in my comfort zone,
> It 'll need going into the different related quality monitoring
> applications them to mark that it's up to date so that several of us,
> on several applications, can use the work I've done ?

I'd hope QA tools would appear that can chase down refs.  What do you
do now?  You go and look yourself.  If an app exists that means you
don't have to check some things, that's an advantage.  Don't complain
that there isn't an app for every POI you want to check.

> on paper, the argument "do this in your own db" is easy,
> it allows not to have to think about the problems of outdated poi
> badly detectable in osm

Yep.  Because, as others have pointed out, implementing such a scheme
in OSM is hard.  Not just technically hard, but "overcoming all the people
who insist OSM MUST NOT do this" hard.

> on a community level, it's the worst solution,

It's certainly sub-optimal.  But at least there is a chance of it happening
because the decision to implement it rests upon a single person.  This
list will bun-fight over it for months, if not years, and nothing will come
of it.

> > say drinking_water:ewp_id
>
> or use https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Overpass_API/Permanent_ID

I didn't even know that existed.  I'm not sure I trust such IDs to survive
intensive editing by newbies who can delete an object then add it
with quite different tags.

> or a wikidata,

If a wikidata object exists.  Given that I've mapped hamlets and villages
around here that do not have wikidata objects, I doubt that every refill
point will get one.

that's avoid the need for several external database
> to add their own id to the same object

That's sub-optimal, perhaps, but there's more chance of somebody who
wrote a refill app giving all the refill points the app knows about an ID
than
them all appearing in wikidata.

and if you still need a ref in osm, please don't use
> drinking_water:ewp_id but a key like ref:*

Whatever.

--
Paul