[Tagging] Request for assistance in creating a tag.

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Mon Apr 13 09:44:39 UTC 2020

On 13.04.20 09:57, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
>> testing centers/clinics (testing only)
>
> Is this a doctor's office, or is there just a nurse, or just a
> laboratory technician who can draw blood for the test? If there is a
> doctor, it might be an amenity=doctors. If there is just a laboratory
> for testing, that would be a healthcare=laboratory facility.

What if there's HIV testing at a bar or nightclub? (I'm not joking.)
Blood gets taken, but not tested there. “This place does HIV tests
(between these hours)”. How would we tag that?

> For the speciality, it's possible to use something like
> healthcare:speciality=hiv if that's the only thing that the clinic
> treats.
>
> But here in Indonesia and back in the USA most clinics that treat HIV
> also offer treatment for other infectious  conditions, so a different
> specialty like healthcare:speciality=infectious_diseases would usually
> be more correct.
>
> I see that in the Phillipines the tag "disease:hiv=yes" has been used:
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/disease%3Ahiv#map
>
> In Indonesia and the USA you can get an HIV test at just about any
> healthcare=laboratory and larger clinics and all hospitals. But if you
> can only get this done at some specialized places in the Phillipines,
> you could consider adding a tag like "hiv_testing=yes/no" for clinics,
> doctor's offices, and laboratories.
>
> Similarly, in the USA it's normal to be able to get hiv medications
> from standard pharmacies.

I don't know about US or IN &  HIV drugs, but at least the US has laws
allowing pharmacies to refuse to fulfill prescriptions for “religious
objection” (
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/a3amzp/in-these-states-pharmacists-can-refuse-to-fill-your-prescription-for-religious-beliefs
) . Now-a-days that's mostly abortion, but it might be relevant

“This pharmacy will/will not fill perscriptions for $TREATMENT” is
something we could map in OSM. How should we do that?

But if they are only available from a few
> pharmacies in your country, you could add a tag like
> "hiv_medication=yes/no" to an "amenity=pharmacy" facility.
>
> It looks like "medical_service:antiretroviral_therapy=yes" has been
> used in combination. That seems overlong and complex,  so it would not
> have been my first choice:
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/medical_service%3Aantiretroviral_therapy

`hiv_{treatment,medication}=*` could work, but a more general approach
might be nice...

I think one issue is that healthcare tagging in OSM is a big of a mess.
There's the `healthcare`, `medical_service`, `health_service`,
`health_facility` etc. Some are probably from imports where someone
makes up a new tagging scheme, causing further fragmentation and confusion.