[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - traffic_signals=crossing_on_demand

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 10:27:44 UTC 2020

Am Mo., 13. Apr. 2020 um 14:16 Uhr schrieb <Lukas-458 at web.de>:

> Hi,
> oh sorry you are confused. Maybe it's too much text I think. But your
> conclusion is completely correct, yes.

Did you have a look at the currently used values for traffic_signals?
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/traffic_signals#values
94% are tagged with "signal"
1,3% "traffic_lights"
1,2% "pedestrian_crossing"
0,6% "blinker"
0,4% "ramp_meter"

According to the wiki, the tag "Gives details about the type or function of
traffic signals."
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key%3Atraffic_signals

To me it seems there are different aspects that could occur on the same
traffic signal controlled crossing, mixed into the same key, and your
proposal would add just another property as a "main type"?
Have you considered something like traffic_signals:on_demand=yes?

Also, there can be huge differences between different "on demand"
crossings, some of them almost instantly turn red for vehicular traffic
after you push the button, others may have long waiting times even when you
push.
Not sure if recording these times might seem a bit too much detail though
;-)

Cheers
Martin