[Tagging] tagging the landuse of resevoirs & basins.

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Apr 15 03:16:18 UTC 2020

> On Apr 15, 2020, at 10:40 AM, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I suggest landuse=industrial + industrial=water
>
> Perhaps industrial=water_management or =flood_control or something
> elsemore specific would be better?

 good values, water_management might be good. Some of these are for purely storm surge control (to prevent short term flooding), but canals and aqueducts often have controlled land in certain places and are not related to storms.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.28920/137.88271 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.28920/137.88271>

Here is a place where an aqueduct crosses a river. the office next to it is the local “drainage” office that handles the aqueduct.

the land around the crossing has two overflow drains that lead to the river.

I could merely map the grass and riverbank areas, letting the fences and water features imply the usage, but I could also try to show that this junction is:

- a man-made feature
-for management of the water features inside the area
- has no other uses beyond water management. (no parks, etc).
- an area people normally don’t enter except for maintenance.
- this one also has access control (fencing, gates, etc)

To me, this is another use of this landuse.

> I would mainly do this for areas covered in concrete, asphal, stones,
> roads, levees and other obvious man-made features, surrounded by a
> fence or wall probably? And map the fence with barrier=fence lines if
> known.

They often have fences or other barrier= features along with access ways.

Smaller ones are defined by the bordering boundaries (farmland, residential walls, road guardrails, etc).

All my examples were chosen because they basically have this.  One doesn’t - but still is a man-made structure.

> (You can also map the vegetation of the area (grass, scrub, woodland)
> if it's present, especially if this covers a large area.

I often do, but most of these are totally surrounded by concrete/asphalt (and often times fences to keep people from drowning).

> That would
> make more sense than describing a large are of woods as
> industrial=flood_control if it is outside of the levees/dykes and
> wouldn't actually be flooded.)

I’m not interested (for this tag) to map any natural features - just the land altered and/or fenced that surrounds the basin/reservoir.

it’s to map the constructed objects that surround the water feature.

Javbw