[Tagging] insurance health

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 09:08:53 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 15. Apr 2020, at 03:17, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But it takes more time for each mapper to add 2 tags instead of one.
> Mapper time is the most precious resource in OpenStreetMap: we don't
> have enough mappers, and most are working for free, for fun.
> Let's make things as easy as possible for mappers: one tag for one main feature.

most time is spent finding the “best” or at least mostly used and
appropriate tagging, much more than you need to actually type it in.
And people relying on presets don’t care anyway, because a preset can
set 2 tags with one click.

I agree we should strive for easy tagging, but it may also imply to
sometimes use 2 tags rather than one.

When there are places where an insurance company office lets you sign
up for health insurance and other insurance types, the distinction in
the main tag will be an issue.
I am not completely sure, but from a quick verification it doesn't
seem improbable that you can get healthcare insurance at the same
place as other insurance types, e.g. when you look here for offices of
a specific German insurance company (which offers "all" kinds of
insurances, including private healthcare insurance) in a specific
town, the search form does not have a selection for the type of
insurance, hence I would suspect that all of them will be able to sell
you all of their insurances:
https://www.allianz.de/agentursuche/karlsruhe/?address=karlsruhe
I am still not completely sure, but I believe, "Allianz" is a group
here, and health care insurance will be provided by a member of this
group, and agents will sell you any product the group offers (i.e. in
the details they are different "companies", but you can find several
of these companies together, bundled as "group").

Also, the assumption for your assessment of easyness is that people
will want to tag "healthcare insurance company office", so they will
need 2 tags to describe office=insurance, insurance=health(_care)
but if all the mapper wants to tag is "insurance company" (regardless
of types of insurances), she could add office=insurance which is
arguably simpler and easier than office=health_insurance

So, in accordance with your statement "Let's make things as easy as
possible for mappers", we could argue just as well for
"office=insurance" and optional details about the kind of insurance in
additional tags.

Cheers
Martin