[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - traffic_signals=crossing_on_demand

Jarek Piórkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Thu Apr 16 01:48:49 UTC 2020

On 15/04/2020 09:27, John Willis via Tagging wrote:
>> On Apr 15, 2020, at 8:34 PM, Paul Allen wrote:
>> The traffic lights control the junction
>
> We have a lot of traffic light controlled crossings in Japan that are
> just for a crosswalk, while the smaller intersecting road is stop-sign
> controlled for cars. Only the crosswalk is controlled by a signal that
> stops traffic on the larger road - only when pressed. There are many of
> these.
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/790227211
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/729071392

Oh! Those also exist (or at least existed a couple of years ago) in
British Columbia, they had a special flashing-green indication on the
main street.

Example https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/naoPubCHkocvtwgoZ2VcAA (note
the lack of lights controlling the minor cross street - the cross
streets have only a stop sign - and the lights look out in that photo
because it's on the off-phase of its flashing).

I don't know if there is a set tagging standard for them, I'm not
finding anything specific in quick checks of Vancouver east side
intersections right now.

To my eyes they would be:

- if a single node on the main street: highway=traffic_signals +
crossing=traffic_signals + button_operated=yes, but this doesn't
indicate that the minor cross street traffic is not controlled by the
light
- if the crossing is only on one side of the intersection, as shown in
the Japanese examples: highway=traffic_signals +
crossing=traffic_signals + button_operated=yes at the crossing node(s)
- if the car stop lines are on either side of the minor street
intersection, using more nodes: on the main street, at car stop lines,
highway=traffic_signals + direction=*; on the main car way, at
crosswalk locations highway=crossing + crossing=traffic_signals; on
the minor cross street, at the stop line, highway=stop + direction=*;
and no highway=traffic_signals on the intersection node between the
two streets

> - crosswalks for traffic signal controlled intersections where the light
> is _only_ sensor triggered - magnet loop in the road and a push-button
> for pedestrians. there are very few of these. a little sign says “push
> button” - and if you don’t press it, you will wait until a car comes.
Isn't that simply button_operated=yes ?

--Jarek