[Tagging] Points vs Polygons

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Sun Apr 19 16:12:05 UTC 2020

Rob,
First welcome to OSM.

When adding businesses, I use the convention that if the building holds
multiple businesses, then each business is a separate node. If the building
only holds on business, then I typically add the business information to
the building polygon. Like a McDonalds fast food restaurant. However, there
is nothing wrong with using nodes even though it's the only business.

For those buildings that hold a number of businesses, adding addr:unit is
very helpful.

If you need more information let me know.

Best,
Clifford

On Sun, Apr 19, 2020 at 8:52 AM Robert Castle <castlerg97 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm new to OSM and have been I've been making some edits on Main Street
> of my hometown. All the buildings seem to have been mapped, but many of the
> businesses are not mapped or have incomplete information, so I've been
> adding in the business names that aren't there and editing the ones that
> have incomplete info. I noticed that some businesses are polygons whereas
> others are points within a polygon. I was wondering which way is correct.
>
> Best,
> Rob

@osm_washington
www.snowandsnow.us