[Tagging] Too many different features lumped together under amenity=social_facility?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 16:22:19 UTC 2020

Am Mo., 20. Apr. 2020 um 16:27 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>:

> Is it or is it not a social facility within the broad meaning of the term?
> I'd say that it is.  It's a facility.  It's social (in both meanings:
> people
> interact socially and it is a social service).

apart from workshops, it is this overly broad meaning of "social facility"
that doesn't make the tag super useful. In the end you will have to add
secondary tags to make sense of this tag (social_facility=* in the first
place, a tag that says what this is about). For example "nursing homes"
were already sufficiently defined and quite established with
amenity=nursing_home, no need to make it amenity=social_facility,
social_facility=nursing_home. Similarly "hospice".

The "social_facility:for" subtag is a useful addition to our tags, I
completely agree, but the whole amenity=social_facility social_facility=foo
tag could be deprecated in favor for amenity=foo tags and it would not be a
loss, rather a gain.

Why on earth should we have this second level tagging for social facilities
but have almost all the other tags in a flat system (not
amenity=educational_institution, educational_institution=school/university,
and not shop=service_provider service_provider=hairdresser / car_repair),
without the need to type longish keys with underscores on mobile devices ;-)

Cheers
Martin