[Tagging] Points vs Polygons

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Apr 22 05:49:37 UTC 2020

> On Apr 20, 2020, at 7:22 AM, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> we end up with most POIs [e.g. shops] added as nodes, as it appears to be currently the best compromise in terms of mapping efficiency, accuracy, complexity and editability.
>
> +1

+1 as well, but I do not want this to become a standard way to map all POIs that resemble businesses.

>> I know there are lots of building=yes with POI data added, but I would discourage this because there really is no way to tell which of the properties (e.g. name) belongs to the building and which to the business.
>
> +1

-1  I really like tagging info onto landuses and buildings because that is *exactly* what I’m trying to convey - everything in this area or building is *this thing*

It should be said to use the *proper* method, which may be pins most of the time, but for more complicated mappings, all might be used.

This is especially true with modern indoor malls - where you are going to see a lot of shop mapping. This nesting becomes vitally important.

The “mall” is the retail landuse. the named parking lots, the access roads, the mall buildings, the satellite buildings - that is “the mall”.

The mall is often times a collection of many buildings. Anchor stores often take a whole building with additional small shops inside, or the buildings themselves have names (center mall, south mall) stuffed with many small shops.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/36.29322/139.39888 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/36.29322/139.39888>

In my example, Aeon Mall Ota is the entire place. There is an anchor department store - Aeon - on the north end. the mall is then two adjoined buildings - the center mall and south mall. (the mall was lengthened and the segments named differently).

then, inside those buildings, are all the POI’s of the different shops, restaurants, amenities, and so forth.

In this case, the info for the mall is on the landuse (it is the whole landuse).

the info for Aeon shop is on the building. (it is the entire building, and named for it).

The info of the general mall shops are on pins (as they take up suites)

This is a MASSIVELY USEFUL ability to nest different POIs on top of each other. Similar to other situations, being able to specify points for shops inside a larger land area is useful.

Javbw