[Tagging] Points vs Polygons

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Apr 23 09:14:44 UTC 2020

> On Apr 22, 2020, at 8:38 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> but the building is also a thing, it has its own properties, e.g. start_date, wikipedia reference, architect, operator, name, height, etc
>
> yes, often you can understand which tag belongs to which object, when several objects are represented by one OpenStreetMap object (and that’s why we tolerate this kind of representation), but strictly, you can’t even know whether the name belongs to the building or to the occupant (it “works” because you assume that buildings mostly don’t have names).

Yep, I do this because I assume the buildings have names and attributes that need to be labeled beyond the encompassing landuse.

every building at the mall is not named “the mall”.

the landuse=retail area is all “ the shopping mall”  - the named parking lots, the access roads, the hedges along the fence, etc.

Everything inside this area is "the mall”.

a retail building here is 3 levels, named “south Mall”. it is part of “the mall”.

this other retail building is a deptartment store. it is a giant named anchor store. it has 2 levels. it has the shop tagging on it.

This pin over her is a small shop the south building. that pin is “in the mall” and “in the south building” and has all the tagging for this small shop.

It completely baffles me that the way to tag one collection of buildings and amenities sitting on a named area/landuse is fine for one type, yet somehow a contentious issue when it comes to tagging another set of buildings and amenities that sit on an area.

there are many retail establishments that are the area (malls, shopping centers, big-box stores), many that take the building (many supermarkets or similar), and then a myriad of pins that may be on any of these objects to represent smaller shops inside.

 Shopping centers in particular have usually unknown official names (“parkway shopping” printed on the top of the sign) and then a collection of road-facing retail buildings that people see. having the shopping center (shop=shopping_centre) labeled as a pin in the middle of the parking lot is not great mapping IMO.

A large supermarket tagged onto building may sit on a differently named landuse (a shopping center), and have a pin inside the building to represent the small coffee shop or bank or similar tiny shop “inside” the supermarket as well,

Very similar to a Hospital which is a giant named area, a named individual hospital building, and pin for a convenience store in the basement.

keeping this flexibility better represents reality.

Javbw