[Tagging] Points vs Polygons

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 10:53:54 UTC 2020

On 20/4/20 1:51 am, Robert Castle wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm new to OSM and have been I've been making some edits on Main
> Street of my hometown. All the buildings seem to have been mapped, but
> many of the businesses are not mapped or have incomplete information,
> so I've been adding in the business names that aren't there and
> editing the ones that have incomplete info. I noticed that some
> businesses are polygons whereas others are points within a polygon. I
> was wondering which way is correct.
>
> Best,
> Rob

Welcome!

You can see the diversity of views in answer to your question.

Presently .. do what seems right for you and the things you map.

Some things in OSM have;

more than one way to map them.

one way that is better than other ways of mapping.

Don't be too fussed, as long as the tags make sense to a human someone
can figure out what was meant and translate it into the latest OSM
tagging method... and that does change over time.

Please do make changeset comments as an aid to what was mapped.. it
helps is you comeback to it some time later.