[Tagging] With leisure=common deprecated, Senegal & Mali need a replacement

Jean-Marc Liotier jm at liotier.org
Thu Apr 30 09:17:13 UTC 2020

On 4/30/20 3:13 AM, Warin wrote:
> It may look like sports are played there to you and me. It may
> resemble a park to others. However none of those may be the case! Or
> it may not be the primary use. Simply viewing it without local
> knowledge may well cause errors!
>
> The local mapper should say what the area is primarily used for .. It
> may be used for a weekly market (some 'weeks' are 6 days in Africa).
> It may be used for social/political gatherings.

I know these places well. They are never a marketplace (in Senegal and
Mali, those are dedicated areas - clearly marked). They are not
dedicated sport pitches - but soccer kids play soccer. They are
sometimes used for gatherings. Or parking.

The concept they are closest to is "plaza"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plaza) - which, by the way, does not seem
to have currency in Openstreetmap.

> The surface is not grass. I would hesitate to call it sand, could be
> ground. In any case 'unpaved' could be used.

surface=ground ?