[Tagging] highway=service, service=driveway vs highway=track

Tod Fitch tod at fitchfamily.org
Thu Apr 30 22:14:18 UTC 2020

> On Apr 30, 2020, at 11:25 AM, Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 at 19:17, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com <mailto:joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> This mis-tagging is probably common because OpenStreetMap-Carto and some other common map styles do not distinguish between unpaved and paved service roads. (We're working on it: https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3399 <https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/3399>)
>
> Or it might be common because, from aerial imagery, it's clearly an unpaved
> track.  Or possibly added as a track from the NPE and never changed when
> somebody later added buildings to the map.

In the rural southern Arizona community where my parents retired the only real way to tell the difference between a track and a service+driveway+upaved is whether you end up at a house in a reasonable amount of distance.

I forgot how I mapped those, so I just went back and looked at the area. Apparently when I mapped it 4 or 5 years ago I decided on service+driveway.

But if you aren’t looking at it on the ground it would be very difficult to tell which would be correct. Even in person it is often quite difficult.

Cheers!
Tod