[Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Aug 1 06:18:34 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-31 8:21 a.m., Andy Townsend wrote:
> On 26/05/2020 00:20, Alan Mackie wrote:
>> Has this edit war stabilised?
>>
>> Apparently it has been blocking coastline updates across the whole
>> world for /months /now.
>>
>> https://osmdata.openstreetmap.de/data/land-polygons.html
>> https://github.com/fossgis/osmdata/issues/7
>
> (picking this thread up again because there still hasn't exactly been
> a meeting of minds here)
>
> land polygons have been generated (see
> https://osmdata.openstreetmap.de/data/land-polygons.html ) and
> https://github.com/fossgis/osmdata/issues/7 has been resolved by
> manually "releasing" the coastline.  The current situation in OSM is
> https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/WD8 - at the time of writing this the
> coastline crosses the river north of Buenos Aires.
>
> However, edits are continuing (see
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/88787419 ).  I'm not convinced
> that moving to one of two extremes, even a small amount at a time, is
> a good idea until there's actually been discussion between the
> proponents of the various positions.
>
> For what it's worth, neither extreme position looks the best answer to
> me - looking at the salinity change between river to ocean at
> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0307904X07000716
> (see
> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0307904X07000716
> for the key picture) and looking at
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Rio_de_la_Plata_BA_2.JPG suggests
> a location some way between the two.  Despite the NASA photo it looks
> like there isn't a "step change" in salinity - and of course values
> will fluctuate based on winds and tides etc

I live near the coast and have done coastline processing, including a
great deal worldwide during the redaction.

Salinity and territorial control have seldom been considerations in
where the break between water mapped as waterway=riverbank and
natural=coastline that I have seen. The break is chosen as a convenient
place for mappers and a common view of where the coast of the ocean is,
not based on scientific salinity criteria. For territorial control, look
at all the inlets along the BC or Norwegian coasts.