[Tagging] maxweightrating [was: Conditional destinations (hgv, bicycle, maxweight…)]

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Sat Aug 1 13:27:11 UTC 2020

>> On 1. Aug 2020, at 11:28, Jan Michel <jan at mueschelsoft.de> wrote:
>> The access tag is 'maxweightrating' like 'maxweight' or 'maxheight'. In the value of conditional tags there is no 'max' because there we refer to actual values and not limits. We use 'weight', 'height' and hence also 'weightrating' there.
> the difference is that weight and height are actual weights and heights, while the rating is for a maxweight, hence I believe it should be “maxweightrating” when it’s about the actual maxweightrating.

Well, this is quite off-topic here, but this interpretation wouldn't be
consistent. Let me use the term GVWR to refer to the weight rating of a
vehicle to make it easier to read:

OSM Tagging point of view:
The access tag 'maxweightrating' doesn't refer to a specific GVWR, but
to all vehicles with a GVWR less than the given number. So, if we use
the term 'maxweightrating' to refer to the GVWR, the access tag should
be 'maxmaxweightrating', but can't be 'maxweightrating' because that
would specify a defined GVWR.

General terminology point of view:
As I understand it, the term 'rating' already refers to the allowed
limit. Note that it's called 'gross weight rating', but not 'maximum
gross weight rating'.