[Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Aug 1 22:40:59 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-01 9:26 a.m., Alan Mackie wrote:
> Perhaps I am an overly literal follower of the wiki, but I had always
> assumed the coastline should continue inland as far as the tide
> continues to be noticeable. Mediterranean mapping might be an issue,
> but elsewhere I think this is fairly clear?

Starting locally, the Fraser River has a strong tidal influence 25km
upstream of the coastline/riverbank edge. Fishers report a tidal
influence 90km upstream. Wikipedia says the Columbia has tidal influence
up to the first dam, which is 120km upstream of the coastline/riverbank
edge. There are tidal forecasts published for 75km upstream of the edge.

Looking in Europe, the Thames is tidal for 80km upstream of the
coastline/riverbank edge.

> If the water is fresh or the waterway still appears to be a river,
> canal etc, then it seems reasonable that they should also have those
> tags as well. The coastline and riverbank tags aren't fighting for a
> common key, so it's not a direct tagging conflict.

I would consider an area mapped as water both with natural=coastline and
waterway=riverbank or natural=water in error. I haven't seen any cases
where this is done.