[Tagging] Should admin_level=1 tag be applied to EU?

Jarek Piórkowski jarek at piorkowski.ca
Sun Aug 2 16:14:09 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2 Aug 2020 at 07:56, Alan Mackie <aamackie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 20:21, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > On 1. Aug 2020, at 17:20, Alan Mackie <aamackie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I don't know how I'd map this. Do you have to pass through border checkpoints when you enter or leave the area?
>>
>> around here, no, but neither are there border checkpoints at the border of the main territory, you just walk there without noticing you are changing country (referring to the Vatican City)
>>
> In this instance I meant the Ahkwesáhsne / US / Canadian situation.

Yeah but per the precedents of the Vatican, Monaco, the Schengen area,
etc, a border checkpoint is not necessarily needed for a country
border to exist and be acknowledged.

Or for another European analogy, consider the Sápmi region inhabited
by Sámi people and their relation to Nordic country borders.

--Jarek