[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - 3rd and 4th rail (Michael Reichert)

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Aug 2 18:17:49 UTC 2020

Hi Garry,

On 2020-06-13 18:49, Garry Keenor wrote:

> Also, there are only 2 networks that I can identify worldwide that are 4th rail, and I've tagged them both already. :-)

You may have missed one.... I just discovered that the LIM lines of
SkyTrain (Vancouver) have some kind of 4-rail system:

"Two power rails (positive and negative) were chosen instead of the
conventional single third rail system with return via the track, to
eliminate electrolytic corrosion in underground structures and in the
guideway itself. This dual power rail system also provides significant
protection against ground faults."

https://www.ejrcf.or.jp/jrtr/jrtr16/f44_vancouver.html#:~:text=Propulsion%20uses%20two%20Linear%20Induction,technology%20to%20mass%20transit%20systems.

I haven't yet been able to find any decent images that show the topology
of the 5 (2 running, 2 power, 1 propulsion) rails in cross-section....

Regards,
Colin