[Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

muralito at montevideo.com.uy muralito at montevideo.com.uy
Mon Aug 3 18:48:00 UTC 2020

> De: "Alan Mackie" <aamackie at gmail.com>
> Para: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools" <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Enviados: Sábado, 1 de Agosto 2020 13:26:06
> Asunto: Re: [Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

> On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 at 07:21, Paul Norman via Tagging < tagging at openstreetmap.org
> > wrote:

>>> (picking this thread up again because there still hasn't exactly been a meeting
>>> of minds here)

>>> land polygons have been generated (see
>>> https://osmdata.openstreetmap.de/data/land-polygons.html ) and
>>> https://github.com/fossgis/osmdata/issues/7 has been resolved by manually
>>> "releasing" the coastline. The current situation in OSM is
>>> https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/WD8 - at the time of writing this the coastline
>>> crosses the river north of Buenos Aires.

>>> However, edits are continuing (see
>>> https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/88787419 ). I'm not convinced that
>>> moving to one of two extremes, even a small amount at a time, is a good idea
>>> until there's actually been discussion between the proponents of the various
>>> positions.

>>> For what it's worth, neither extreme position looks the best answer to me -
>>> looking at the salinity change between river to ocean at
>>> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0307904X07000716 (see
>>> https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0307904X07000716 for the key
>>> picture) and looking at
>>> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Rio_de_la_Plata_BA_2.JPG suggests a
>>> location some way between the two. Despite the NASA photo it looks like there
>>> isn't a "step change" in salinity - and of course values will fluctuate based
>>> on winds and tides etc
>> I live near the coast and have done coastline processing, including a great deal
>> worldwide during the redaction.

>> Salinity and territorial control have seldom been considerations in where the
>> break between water mapped as waterway=riverbank and natural=coastline that I
>> have seen. The break is chosen as a convenient place for mappers and a common
>> view of where the coast of the ocean is, not based on scientific salinity
>> criteria. For territorial control, look at all the inlets along the BC or
>> Norwegian coasts.

> Perhaps I am an overly literal follower of the wiki, but I had always assumed
> the coastline should continue inland as far as the tide continues to be
> noticeable. Mediterranean mapping might be an issue, but elsewhere I think this
> is fairly clear?

> If the water is fresh or the waterway still appears to be a river, canal etc,
> then it seems reasonable that they should also have those tags as well. The
> coastline and riverbank tags aren't fighting for a common key, so it's not a
> direct tagging conflict.

> As for territorial control, there are archipelagic states with territorial
> waters despite large gaps between all their islands. I'm not sure why inlets or
> [...]

there is no noticeable tides. tides here are meterological, not astronomical. e.g the river between Buenos Aires and Colonia is 3m depth average, with a few channels to navigate. if you are not cautious, with a change of wind the water withdraws and your sailboat remains in the mud without notice.

Regards,
M.

Con el nuevo beneficio fiscal, tu facturación electrónica puede ser sin costo.

Informate si aplicás aquí.

mvdfactura.uy