[Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 4 07:38:36 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 03.08.20 22:41, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> I have previously proposed that estuaries should be mapped by extending
> the coastline upstream to the limit of the estuary, and also mapping the
> area of the estuary as water with water=estuary

I wonder if we're not becoming too theoretical by thinking about
scientific definitions. I know that we strive to have something
"verifiable" but at the same time I have a bad feeling about there being
a "coastline" in OSM where there is definitely no "coast" within dozens
of kilometers.

Sure, I can say "don't be too literal, natural=coastline doesn't mean
there has to be a coast, it's just for closing ocean polygons" but that
doesn't make it better really.

Sure, with current ocean drawing technology we need a "coastline" across
every river estuary at some point... but perhaps we should think beyond
that?

Bye
Frederik