[Tagging] Have our tagging voting rules changed recently?

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Aug 4 09:14:56 UTC 2020

On Tuesday 04 August 2020, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> looking at the "bare_soil" proposal I was surprised to read:
>
> "Any opposition vote without reason or suggestion will not be counted
> in the voting process."
>
> Is that something that we have added by consensus?

I don't think so - but i also think the question is a bit besides the
point here.

The thing is the whole idea of proposal voting was originally meant as a
standardized way to gauge if consensus has been achieved on a tagging
question. Consensus does not require unanimity but it requires
dissenting voices not being ignored and being integrated into to
consensus position, to find the position that enjoys broadest possible
support.  For that it is of course needed that dissenting voices do not
just express their dislike per se but explain why they oppose the idea.

Unfortunately the proposal process is often used these days as a mere
supermajority vote where the majority can push their uncompromising
position against critique - no matter how well founded and well argued
that critique might be.

That is one of the main reasons why i typically do not vote in tagging
proposals.  If i criticize a tagging idea i usually have well founded
reasons for that.  I require these to be either addressed or being
convinced with arguments to change my opinion.  If that does not happen
and a supermajority of voters can decide to ignore objections without
engaging in a discussion on the merits and convincing me and other
critical voices i am not going to legitimize the process with my
participation.

It might actually be better to introduce the opposite rule - that
yes-votes need to explain why they are willing to dismiss sustained
critical voices in the discussion.  That would at least avoid people
voting yes out of group-think, political allegiance or as a personal
favor without having contemplated the merit of the proposal and of
voices opposing it.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/