[Tagging] Have our tagging voting rules changed recently?

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 4 09:26:30 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-04 10:06, Andrew Harvey wrote:

> I'd suggest that if you vote no, it will be helpful for the community if you could elaborate on why you're voting no, without enforcing a reason as mandatory. Is it because this feature shouldn't be mapped, is it because there is an alternative tag. So if the vote fails all this feedback can be taken onboard for a revisal of the proposal and second round of voting.

The explanation should possibly have been given earlier, during the
consultancy phase? In a vote, the only thing that should count towards
the outcome is how you vote, not why you voted that way. All votes have
equal weight, irrespective of their motivation.

However, in the ensuing inquest it is obviously useful to understand why
a proposal was not supported by many people.. For that matter, it is
also useful to know what made people support it as well.

Putting a proposal to the vote should IMHO not be done unless the
discussions are clearly pointing towards approval. A vote is not a
substitute for the discussion, it should be a confirmation that
consensus has been achieved.