[Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Aug 4 16:58:18 UTC 2020

On Tuesday 04 August 2020, Kevin Kenny wrote:

> Moreover, I'm somewhat puzzled at Christoph's insistence that
> 'natural=coastline' have a strict physical definition, and dismiss
> local understanding as merely political and cultural. In almost all
> other aspects of OSM, the understanding of the locals is what
> governs. That understanding is, ipso facto, cultural - but we dismiss
> it at our peril. Ignoring local understanding is a path to
> irrelevance.

I am not saying that OSM should only record physical geography.  I am
saying that natural=coastline is a physical geography tag and should be
defined based on physical geography criteria.  If there is no consensus
about this we can end the discussion because if we cannot even agree on
basic conceptual separation on that level (i.e. that we separate the
mapping of the physical extent of surface water cover on this planet
from culturally defined elements of the geography) we can close up shop
right away.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/