[Tagging] Rio de la Plata edit war

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 19:16:30 UTC 2020

Re: " Your argument is that the first dam or waterfall is the only
'objective' way to place it. "

That's not what Christoph has proposed. You can read his suggestions at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_Features/Coastline-River_transit_placement

It provides a great deal of lee-way for mappers to decide on the exact
placement. For the case of the Hudson it could be anywhere from New York
Harbor up to Albany:

"The upper limit

In case of significant tidal influence at the river mouth the coastline
should be closed no further upstream than the range of the tidal influence.

In case of no or insignificant tidal variation the coastline should not
extend significantly above the sea level with the river (*significantly* not
being precisely defined but i'd say at maximum a meter).
"The lower limit

With no or insignificant tides the coastline should go upstream at least to
a point where the river current is clearly the dominating current in the
water under normal weather conditions (i.e. no storm).

With significant tides the coastline should go upstream at least to a point
where on waterflow is going downstream for a significantly longer part of
the tidal cycle than it goes upstream due to rising tide."

These rules would exclude the lower Rio De La Plata and the lower part of
the mouth of the Saint Lawrence river, as well as other wide estuaries
where winds and tides have more influence on surface water flow than does
the discharge of the river. It would not prevent mapping the Hudson mouth
at the southern tip of Manhattan, because the flow is strong all the way to
New York Harbor, if I understand correctly.

- Joseph Eisenberg