[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - more parking types

Matthew Woehlke mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 14:47:59 UTC 2020

On 07/08/2020 10.09, Jez Nicholson wrote:
> I saw parking_space=takeaway riding on the coattails of the original
> post....is this not a waiting time restriction? Does it merit its own
> value?

That's not how I would interpret it. Stuff like "15 minute parking" also
exists; "takeaway" parking (which would usually be called "carry-out" in
the US) is a *purpose* restriction, and there is not *technically* a
time restriction attached. (I'm pretty sure that if your order took an
unusually long time for some reason, you would not get towed, as you
might in a "15 minute" space.)

My main argument (well, aside from "they're a thing") is that if I can't
map them, how am I supposed to map a lot that has such spaces? They
aren't normal spaces and definitely shouldn't be mapped that way, but
then, am I supposed to subtract them from 'capacity'? How do I map them
so that armchair mappers don't see my "error" and "correct" it?

> Perhaps I'm against it because we don't AFAIK have these in the UK?

I can't speak to that :-). They are assuredly real in the US; several
restaurants in my area have parking/standing spaces that are either
carry-out only or pickup only. (Almost all Red Robin's AFAIK have some,
I suspect many/all Chili's have some, and pretty sure I've seen them
associated with other restaurants as well.)

--
Matthew