[Tagging] Electric scooter parking

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Fri Aug 7 15:55:58 UTC 2020

Hi,
I agree that we need some way to tag those parking spaces and in general
parking spaces for specific types of vehicles.
I have two major comments here:

- a top level tag like amenity=small_electric_vehicle_parking does not
allow for any kind of parking that allows different kinds of vehicles in
the same place. E.g. if also mopeds are allowed somewhere, it's
impossible to tag the area.
I propose to not introduce new top-level keys because they are not
flexible enough. I'm very well aware that we have parking,
bicycle_parking and motorcycle_parking already, but it just doesn't
scale with the amount of different vehicle types. Note that we also lack
a proper way to tag parking lots for trucks.

- Please don't use the word 'scooter'. It's completely ambiguous because
several languages use the same word for kick-scooters (electric or not)
and mofa/moped like vehicles.
There was some discussion here on the mailing list about the proposal
for tags for small electric vehicles a while ago and we did not manage
to get to a conclusion about proper names of the vehicles yet.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/ElectricBicyclesAndScooters
We should try to get these names sorted first and then use the same
names for parking spaces.

Jan