[Tagging] Electric scooter parking

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Fri Aug 7 18:13:03 UTC 2020

On 07.08.20 19:09, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 12:00 PM Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
> <tagging at openstreetmap.org
> <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>> wrote:
>     Aug 7, 2020, 18:05 by baloo at ursamundi.org
>     <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>:
>         On Fri, Aug 7, 2020 at 3:27 AM Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging
>         <tagging at openstreetmap.org <mailto:tagging at openstreetmap.org>>
>         wrote:
>             amenity=parking + vehicle=no + electric_scooter=yes
>             seems like a terrible idea to me
>         Why?  That's actually pretty good.  amenity=parking is for motor
>         vehicle parking, electric scooters are a part of that.
>     Mostly because it will break all current users of amenity=parking
>     and at least for me place to place
>     electric scooter is not the same object as a car parking (in the
>     same way as bicycle parking
>     is not the same object as a car parking).
> I feel like a data consumer unable to deal with access tagging is
> already broken in advance.

+1 from my side.

It might be useful to have two different top-level amenity tags for
parking lots for large and small vehicles, but not one tag for every
type of vehicle.

Any new tagging scheme must be able to support parking lots that are
dedicated to several types of vehicles - at least those of similar size.
We must be able to tag a shared motorcycle/moped/electric scooter
parking area.

If we really need a new top-level tag, it has to be something like
*amenity=small_vehicle_parking* and comprise all of motorcycles, moped,
mofa, speed_pedelec, scooters (of any kind) and so on. Further details
could then be given by access tags to specify which kind of vehicles can
be parked there.