[Tagging] PTv2 public_transport=stop_position for stop positions that vary based on train length

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Sun Aug 9 14:51:07 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2020-08-09 at 17:38 +0300, Alexey Zakharenkov wrote:
> As a person who have been monitoring and fixing rapid transit
> networks (primarity subways) for long I can say that railway
> stop_positions make more headache than advantage. Most of
> stop_positions look like here:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7966822#map=19/35.70290/139.74568
> i.e. they reside on rails near the station node (adding no
> information) and carry bunch of station's tags like wikipedia and
> name translations (adding info duplication or triplication). Mappers'
> eagerness to conform PTv2 in respect of adding stop_positions here
> and there results in many errors:
> *) stop_positions are created and not added to stop_area relations
> *) stop_positions are erroneously converted to stations and vice
> versa
> *) stop_position tags are transferred to another nearby node ignoring
> its membership in routes and stop_areas
> *) stop_position duplicates corresponding railway station object
> (public_transport=stop_position + railway=station)
> *) and so on.
>
> All this makes subway maintenance (in state that allows routing)
> tenfold costly.
>
> BTW, I could not find the definition where is the point of stop of a
> 150-meter train. In practice, the position of head or center is used.

It is the front, that is where stop position signs are placed on the
platform. and are usually based on the number of coaches.

Some platforms have a single stop position, usually where the entrance
is at that end of the platform. Others have stop positions based on the
length of the train which ensures that the rear of the train is close
to the entrance.

One local station has different stop positions for different classes of
train. Basically it has a low platform to which a raised section has
been added so the stop position ensures one door is at this postition.

Phil (trigpoint)